Birth : 17th September 1912 at Guna – Central India.
Primary education : Guna, Sagar, Jabalpur, Neemach, Indore and Dhar.
Matriculation : Dhar (Allahabad Board), 1927. 1st in High School.
Inter Science : Dhar (Ajmer Board) 1st in Anand College.
Mechanical Engineering :V. J. T. I. Mumbai 1929-30.
B.Sc. Tech : (Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering- from Banaras Hindu University (BHU) 1935.
Post Academic activities :
- Industrial Teacher :
R.B. Chunilal School, Chitapatti, Fyzabad, U. P. 1935.
- Distillation Chemist:
Hindustan Aromatics Co. Banaras 1935-37.
- Founder Partner :
Ideal Institute Pvt. Ltd (Asha Brand Beauty Aids & Inks) at Banaras 1936.Shifted to Mumbai in 1939. Resigned 1950
- Partner :
Julie Claire brand Lipsticks & Varnishes with Edward .J Fielden & Mrs Meave Scott of J. Walter Thompson Co (Eastern) Ltd., Mumbai 1943-47.
- Production Director :
Ninad (Advertising) Ltd 1947-50.
- Founder :
Kromo Prints May 1950 Mumbai.
- Founder :
Institute of Typographical Research (ITR)– Pune along with Vasant Bhat and MukundGokhale and later joined by Sanjay Deshpande.
- Lecturer :
Govt. Institute of Printing Technology in Ceramic Theory – Sir J. J. School of Arts (Ceramic Craft section).Consultant in Ceramic educational activities.
- Graphic Arts Consultant :
Inpolygraphmash – Moscow, Asian Cultural Centre for UNESCO at Tokyo, Japan, Graphic Arts Research Foundation Inc. Boston, USA.
- Active Member :
Script Study Group and Akshara Samshodhan Kendra, Mumbai.
Graphic Arts Research Society of India (GARSI), Mumbai.
Institute of Typographical Research (ITR), Pune.
- Active Collaborator :
National Centre for Software Development and Computer Techniques at T.I.F.R Mumbai.
National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
Achievements – Scripts & Keyboards :
|1||Study of Epigraphy, Historical Research & Script Designs.||Since 1926|
|2||Official Calligrapher : Marathi-Gujarati Script Reform Committee, Govt. of Mumbai (Chairman Kakasaheb Kalelkar).||1939-49|
|3||Pantographic cutting of Steel types for a prototype for Govt. of Maharashtra, Directorate of Languages.||1961-62|
|4||Designed Marathi, Gujarati types for typewriters of Halda (Madras) and Remington (Calcutta) (Types produced in Germany).||1966-67|
|5||Designed new die-system for Devanagari on Bradma addressing Machines(Types produced in England).||1968|
|6||Designed fine-line Devanagari types for Godrej typewriters (Types produced by Alfred Ransmeyer, West Berlin).||1970|
|7||On-spot collection of data on composition of Regional Scripts: Kannada (Bangalore- Mysore); Malayalam (Cochin-Travancore); Tamil (Madras-Tanjore) and Urdu (Hyderabad-Vijayawada).||1970|
|8||Lead Paper on Common Script for South Indian Languages, organized by Dravidian Linguistic Association, Bangalore.||March 1970|
|9||Produced for the first time in India, Photo-matrix for Photo setting of one modern face and one traditional face in Devanagari at Tata Press, with R. Subbu and G. S. Krishnaswamy.||1972-74|
|10||Designed on DATEK Keyboard for Harris Intertype Fototronik-600, a Devanagari Keyboard, installed by Mehta Offset, New Delhi.||1974|
|11||Patent No 117318/1978 – Oblique cut matrices for linear composition of Devanagari with SRamu (Tata Press).|
|12||Patented for tele-printer,a new Tele-Nagari Input-Output concept with linear sequence, through Phonetic and balanced Keyboard No 301.Mumbai.||1977|
|13||Joint Patent No 207.Bom.1978 with Dr. S. P. Mudur’Computer input using molecular build-up with Phonological atoms” (Total 52) to output hundreds of aksharas through matrix characters, already in memory through digitised graphics.||1978|
|14||Designed compact keyboard for Monotype India Ltd.||1978|
|15||Designed computer keyboard for ’National Centre for Software development and Computer Techniques’, Tata Institute for Fundamental Research Mumbai.||1978|
|16||Designed functional keyboard for traditional Devanagari for Diatronic Photosetter by H Berthold AG Germany and unitized light and bold Devanagari. ITR 79 through Institute of Typographical Research, Pune with Vasant B. Bhat and Mukund Gokhale.||1979|
|17||Designed for immediate feedback, linear marching display type for Devanagari with 1(5/14) and 2(5/14) dot-matrix at T.I.F.R. (NCSDCT)|
- Phalke Industrial Prize, Maratha Chamber 1952.
- State Award for ‘Excellence in Printing’.Govt. of Maharashtra, 1966.
- Awarded ‘Acharya VinobaBhave Award’ at NagariLipi Parishad, Gandhi Smarak Nidhi, Rajghat, New Delhi.
Foreign Tours :
Italy, W Germany, Holland, France, Switzerland, UAR (Cairo-Egypt) for studies in Art Heritage.
Soviet Russia Inpolygraphmash Moscow, for installing Devanagari on Russian linecaster. Study of contemporary printing in E Berlin, England, France, West Berlin, Holland, Switzerland, Italy and England with V. B Bhat.
To meet leading hot-metal and photosetter manufacturing firms in France, Holland, West Germany, Switzerland, Italy and England with V. B. Bhat.
|1967||Phonetic Graphics – Xth Congress of Association of Typographique Internationale.||Paris|
|1969||Designing Devanagari Types – Annual Session of All India Type Founders Federation.||Mumbai|
|1970/71/73||All India Advanced Summer Schools of Teachers and Sequential Summer School. Govt. Institute of Printing Technology.||Mumbai|
|1975||39th Annual session of Indian Ceramic Society.||Mumbai|
|1979||First seminar on ‘Screen Printing and Inks’. Screen Printing Association of India.||Mumbai|
Papers & Books :
- Soap-Science &Practice (Marathi),Udyam Press, Nagpur, 1938.
- Devanagari – Origin and Evolution, Marathi SahityaPatrika, Mumbai 1959.
- Devanagari – ‘The Script of Gods’ Collection of 5 articles printed in Bulletin of All India Master Printers. 1961-62.Devanagari – ‘The Script of Gods’ Collection of 5 articles printed in Bulletin of All India Master Printers. 1961-62.
- Devanagari Typefaces as affected by Printing Technology, MudranVidya Annual Mumbai, pp 94-117, 1962.
- Screen Printing in Graphic Arts, MudranVidya, pp 59-69, 1965.
- Phonetic Graphics – paper presented at Xth Conference of Association of Typographique Internationale (A Type I) Paris, 1967.
- Designing a new face for Devanagari, paper read at all India Type founders Federation, Mumbai session, 1967.
- Ganesh Vidya – The traditional Indian approach to phonetic writing, Tata Press Mumbai, 1968.
- Xerography – Electronic Printing, MudranVidya, pp 4-7, 1974.
- Writing in Vedic Period, Smriti-Gandha in memory of late Shri V. V. Chitale, Nagpur 1975.
- Evolution of Photo-type setting, MudranVidya, pp 44-48, 1975.
- ‘Printing Press and Shivaji’. Centenary Collection of Articles-Govt. of Maharashtra, pp 231-234, 1975.
- Devanagari-The ideal phonetic script – Hindu Vishwa, a special KumbhaMela number, Mumbaipp 56-63, 1978.
- Devanagari-The Vehicle of State Language. LokRajya, Govt. of Maharashtra, Mumbai, 1979.
- Methodology of Designing Devanagari input typewriter keyboard, MudranVidya, 1979.